August 25, 2010

Homemade

I have had a few people ask me recently not only about making my own baby food, but more specifically about making my own baby cereal so I thought I would post a little "how to." It sounds super complicated but it is actually quite simple and now that I do it regularly, it has just sort of become part of my routine. I got my recipes from Ruth Yaron's book, Super Baby Food , and this would be a substitute for Earth's Best rice cereal for example and later on, for oatmeal or any other cereal you would feed your babe/toddler in the morning. I also add beans to mine (sounds hard, but again...super easy!!) which gives it a punch of protein- gotta love that!

So here we go:

You will need an over sized pot, blender (love the Magic Bullet), measuring cup, measuring spoon, any kind of grain (millet, oat, brown rice, etc), any kind of bean/pea/lentil (Lima, pinto, kidney, garbanzo, etc), whisk, timer.




Measure 1/3 Cup grain (this was millet) and 2 Tbsp beans (black-eyed peas)




Grind, grind, grind into a fine powder.



This is what it should look like when it's done



In the meantime, you should have 2 cups of water boiling.

Slowly pour the ground mixture into the boiling water using the whisk to break up lumps


Set the timer for 10 minutes and whisk every 2-3 minutes.

I usually read a magazine or do something around the kitchen :)


Pour into individual containers. Each of these containers will serve my twins for two days!

10 minutes of work = 4 easy, homemade meals.



PS- My kids won't eat this plain anymore so I mix in anything and everything...bananas, peaches, sweet potato, kale, spinach....


Happy cooking :)


4 comments:

  1. Way to go! I will use this recipe when it is time for Benjamin to eat solids. I need you to come and give me a lesson!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made all of my own baby food too! It was so easy and I really thought tasted better and provided more variety than store stuff.
    I've always thought the Magic Bullet looked cool but never knew anyone who had it! You like it and think it works well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you! That book is great isn't it! I never made my own cereal though....you have out done me girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily- I LOVE the magic bullet...didn't think I would use it as much as I do! I use it every single day to grind flax seed or make home-made salad dressing, etc. It's great!

    And Krista- I could never out do you super gardening mom :)

    ReplyDelete