March 16, 2011

Help Please!

So you know I love me some Emma Kate and Jackson but y’all….help a momma out- how in the heck do you get dinner started (or completed for that matter!)? I have recently hit this crazy stage where the twins reach about 5 pm (that would be an hour and a half before our regular dinner time, btw!) and they are ready for dinner unless they have my undivided attention- wha, wha??!

Perhaps I was living in a blissful world 2 or 3 months ago but generally, EK and J played pretty well up until dinner time (perhaps a small melt down but certainly not until closer to our normal 6:30 dinner time). It has seemed to get progressively worse and now the tears/whining start at least an hour before…again, unless they have my undivided attention. This would be NO problem if we lived in the world of nannies, Au Pairs, and/or a full time chef. Wow…how awesome would that be? I picture putting my feet up, a glass of wine, and reading a good book. Ok, back to reality…


So, that is where you come in…please help me! How do you do it? How do you start dinner without a toddler (or two) whining at your feet? I have literally tried everything I know- from quiet activities like puzzles and books, to a movie (lasts 30 seconds before they come running!), to a small “appetizer.” I will take ANY and ALL ideas…this momma is desperate J

Hard to resist this face though, huh?


2 comments:

  1. Oh, honey I have no idea. I am so glad you are going through this stage before me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No good advice here. B does the same thing around 5:30....tugging on my leg while trying to get dinner ready. We eat dinner at 6:00 every night. Lately what is working for me is a DVD at 5:30 that is thirty minutes long. He loves "dv" as he would say- so I wait to turn it on at 5:30 and he is totally captivated by it for thirty minutes. He will come in the kitchen during the dvd sometimes but seems to be distracted and returns to the tv. Also, I am all about some crockpot or leftovers so we play outside from 5-6 and then come in and heat up things quickly. Being outside always makes my child forget about food! With warm weather coming your way I am thinking you might can play before dinner and do make aheads.

    Maybe I should have done it in an email instead of a really long comment!

    Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete