January 23, 2011

Back to my first love...

So I have a confession...if you have blogged, facebooked, or done anything remotely computer related this week, I haven't read it. And here is the second confession-- as much as I love each of your blogs, facebook pages, etc., I have never felt more refreshed or rejuvenated after a week off. I must explain...
A little over a week ago, I felt a tugging at my heart that I was a little addicted to technology/media. While I don't think technology itself is bad, I think we can easily be sucked in and not come out for what seems like days. Can anyone else relate? I mean, sometimes I can pop on facebook for "just a minute" and all of a sudden an hour has passed. Or another time I can start reading blogs and just keep linking to another and another and another and then my whole evening is gone. Again, nothing wrong with a good blog or catching up with folks on facebook. And nothing wrong with a funny show on TV. But when it starts to consume our lives, I think it is time to take a step back...at least for me.
So that consuming happened for me as I mentioned about a week ago. And the Lord just kept quietly nudging me in different ways through different people that perhaps I needed a little time away from what had seem to become my new love...and what had replaced my first love-- Christ. For me, that meant giving up all forms of media and entertainment for the week and just focusing on God's Word, my family, and my love relationship with Jesus. Can I just say...REFRESHING!! I mean, yes, I went through a little withdrawl (what's a girl to do when the Bachelor season is in full swing...and I just know I was missing something good on all my blogs...) but as the week progressed, I must say, I had the sweetest time with the Lord and found myself not even missing my regular shows and updates on facebook.
Anyways, I don't share this to pass along any guilt or condemnation about watching TV, checking facebook, or being a blog-follower-- I do all of these things and will continue to. I only share because I was SO thankful to have a week off and would highly recommend it sometime. I was able to clear my mind, my heart and truly return to my first love. My prayer is that I will find a balance...not sure what that looks like but praying the Lord will show me.

For those of you just here for the pictures- I get that too :) Here are a few updated ones of the twinkies...




This one might be hard to tell...but this would be Emma Kate tackling her brother before bed. He wasn't loving it :)


4 comments:

  1. Oh i just love these photos! we did a technology fast yesterday and it was wonderful....not a whole week, but i need to shoot for that. today we put some limitations in place with the computer and tv going forward. it's such a good thing b/c i think both david and i were feeling much like you - we spend WAY too much time engrossed in technology of some sort!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a challenge for all of us. Thanks for sharing your story! And I love Emma Kate tackling Jackson - girl power!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet post!! Thanks for sharing your heart! Can't wait to see those babes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally with you girl and have been there more than once.....unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete